The Garrisons


Follow our journey on adoption #3 for child #8!

Friday, July 18, 2008

On my mind.......

I've been thinking a lot about apathy lately......Apathy towards others and apathy towards the many needs of those around us. (I am speaking more to myself than anyone here....)
How often do we actually step up and do something that costs us something ?- I mean really costs us. We are people who use most of our time and resources to pursue our own comfort without actually really stopping to reflect on what we could be doing for others. I would venture to guess that on a day to day basis not many of us are actually living with other's needs in mind.

Part of the problem is this: We have bought a lie. We have bought the lie that we cannot make a difference. The problems around the world (or in our own neighborhood for that matter) are so big that there is nothing we could do to make it better. It paralyzes us and keeps us from doing anything at all. So, we all sit and wait for someone else to make it better.
We get emotionally moved when we see the starving children on TV or when we watch a documentary about how someone ELSE made a difference......unfortunately, very few of us actually make the effort to follow that example and do something ourselves.

I want to be different (I am not yet, I assure you). I want my children to be different. I want to use the resources, time, and abilities God has given me to do good in the world while I am here. I want to trust God enough to know that even when things look impossible or feel scary, He will take care of me. He will take care of my family.

What each one of us can do feels small to us, but here's the thing: God isn't small. He can take our meager offerings of service and use them together for good. If each one of us do the part He asks of us, just imagine the possibilities.

...once our eyes are opened we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. (Proverbs 24:12)

No comments: